Translate

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Ethnography preconceptions

I am doing my ethnography on my friend's catholic church. I have gone to a Lutheran Church all my life and have become very familiar with their traditions. I have always wondered what was different about catholic churches but I have never had the chance to observe a service at one.
        I do have some preconceptions on what the Catholic Church will be like. One thing I think will be different from my church, is that it might be more strict than a Lutheran church. From what I know about Catholics, they pray at home much more often than anyone from my church.
        Some other things I think will be different from my church is the traditions during the church service. I know that catholic churches have some different view over some topics than Lutherans do. I also know that they have some traditions, like confession, that Lutheran Churches do not have. Another difference I expect to see while observing the church, is a less free form service. From what I have seen of catholic churches, which is not very much, the pastors have a script that they rarely vary from. In my church it is not uncommon for the pastor to start a story related to the sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment